Wednesday, January 21, 2015

La vie sans Facebook.... (Heidi)

As most people who start a new year, I started it with lots of good intentions and great plans. 

On the list were of course the usual suspects such as losing weight, eating healthy and doing sports but there was one other thing that was on top of my to do list... work... as in sitting behind my desk fully focussed for a certain number of hours in the day without any interruptions.

Now where I have super willpower when it comes to things like climbing mountains or 100km walks... that same willpower was nowhere to be found when it came to chocolate, Starbucks and social media. Like most people I was constantly interrupted by FB on my phone, whatsap, viber etc... and I just couldn’t help myself...just a quick  peek which usually resulted in likes, comments and other banter. 

And so it was in a moment of desperation that I decided to deactivate my account. Without much thought as it appeared because even though I put out a message saying I’m leaving facebook for a while, I hadn’t completely thought it through... once my account was deactivated,  nobody actually saw the message  anymore. I can assure you that subsequently I visited my hairdresser and gone a few shades darker in the hope of avoiding such things in the future.

So how is life without facebook, well first of all I would like to apologise to some people who thought I had de-friended them... I never actually de-friended anybody in my life. My mom was not too pleased either at the prospect of missing out on pictures of her grandson and other nonsense I posted on FB.

My “friends” circle is smaller but I have to say it seems I still have a lot of friends who text me or email me and I have now made it a habit to only reply in the evening after all the work is done, the dishwasher is on, my son is tucked into bed and I sit down with a cup of coffee. 

Of course the time it takes me to write this blog post would have been sufficient to do my daily snoop on facebook but I have to say life without facebook has been refreshing till now. I do miss some routines, Nico’s daily picture was a fun way to start the day. I was able to keep up with lots of acquaintances but it seems now I will be forced to make more effort to meet people in real life.

This is not to say that I will never return on Facebook and I do still have a phone, email, viber, whatsapp and instagram... so far I have refrained from becoming a tweeter...


So I hope this clarifies my reasons for leaving FB for a while, if you can all share this post I am sure at least 80% of my friends will be able to read why I left FB

You can however still find me at my local starbucks eating a chocolate muffin whilst working ...



No comments:

Post a Comment